Kate and Bron's Diary for 2002-09-15

Stayed the night in Edinburgh

prev - next

From: "Kate McMullin" <kate@brong.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:12:17 +1000 (EST)
We got up reasonably early, intending to catch a train up to Inverness,
and see some of the northern bits of Scotland. But we missed the train
by moments, and, being a Sunday, the next one wasn't until around 2pm!
So we caught the next train to Glasgow instead. My maternal grandfather
was born in Glasgow, but as it was a very last minute decision to vsit
the city, it was a bit late to find out more precisely where he lived.

We looked through the town, and looked at all the statues in George's
Square, including Watt (the electrickery guy) and of course, Walter
Scott (literary guy, that the whole of Scotland seems to have
memorials and statues to). We walked down to the Glasgow Green (big
gardens) and saw the People's Palace and Winter Gardens. The gardens
are enclosed in a giant greenhouse, so have huge palm trees and really
cool cactuses (cacti?). The People's Palace was built as a museum of
Social history, so had very interesting displays on the history and
development of the area.

We raced back to the station for the train to Perth (original one) - the
train was long and slow, and we played lots of card games. Perth was
pretty deserted when we eventaully got there: being a Sunday, all the
tourist attractions were closed. The only open thing was the Scone
Palace (2 miles out of town - they don't seem to use metric in this part
of the world), where all the Kings of Scotland were crowned (invested?)
from long time ago until recentish, and where the Stone of Destiny
originally lived, before it was stolen by the English. Sounds pretty
cool, doesn't it? However, it being a Sunday, the bus to the palace left
one minute before the train arrived at the station (let alone leaving
time for bumbling tourists to find the bus information from the
unknowledgable station staff). This isn't Germany, we kept telling

Anyway, we didn't have adequate map information to walk to the castle,
and by the time we got there, it would have been about closing time
anyway. So we didn't get there. We sat on the banks of the River Tay and
ate our meagre lunch before walking back to the station, via a postcard
shop. My blister was really giving me grief by then, so I really
wouldn't have enjoyed the long walk.

One really nice thing about the hostel (Princes st backpackers, right
next to the station) is that it provides a free meal every Sunday night.
Thankfully there was some left by the time we got back. It was a really
nice sweet potato risotto and salad, with yummy cheesecake to follow.
Played more cards and more cards, all evening.

Calendar Diary Places Photos Home [last update Tue Apr 22 01:15:14 2003]